About Me

My photo
My heart beats for love. I want to be different. I want to be who I am called to be. WORTHY and LOVED!

Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Tweeting: "Jesus is my Friend"

A few weeks back I tweeted the following question: "has claiming that "Jesus is our friend" given us a bad theology of friendship?"

I realize that both the Hebrew Scriptures and Gospel speak of God and Christ in terms of friendship. However, I am disturbed by the model of friendship that gives us. It's very close to the un-healthy model we see in Jonathan and David, where for all intents and purposes, David uses Jonathan and doesn't give him anything in return. The friendship is not reciprocal. The same can be said of Jesus; we ask Christ to give us things, but what do we do for Christ? Is such a model setting us up to abuse one another instead of being engaged in mutually blessing relationships?


No comments: