About Me

My photo
My heart beats for love. I want to be different. I want to be who I am called to be. WORTHY and LOVED!

Tuesday, October 13, 2009

"The Cross is in My Way!"

A few months ago, for matriculation, Dr. Davis was speaking about early missionary activity. As he was showing a slide show during chapel, he was not able to see the picture on the screen because of the suspended cross hanging from the ceiling between him and the projection screen. As a result he exclaimed "the cross is always in my way!" While the crowd roared with laughter, I couldn't help but smile at the theological truth of what he was saying.
The cross really is always in our way, and it should be. As a Christian, I should look at the cross and see the sacrifice of Christ, which should block me from doing things that don't reflect the Holy nature of the triune God. However, far too often, we close our eyes at the sight of the cross and blindly go our own way, not wanting anything to hinder us from doing as we please. Or sometimes we disobediently turn from the sight of the cross and run full speed the opposite direction, into sin, in an act of rebellion.
I hope that we can cry "the cross is always in my way!" not with frustration or remorse, as if it is keeping us from things that we desire, but rather joy, that it is protecting us from our own ignorance and selfishness.

No comments: