About Me

My photo
My heart beats for love. I want to be different. I want to be who I am called to be. WORTHY and LOVED!

Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Show Me Your Hands

I'm taking a social justice and evangelism class with Len Sweet this semester. He often has these snippets of wisdom that he gives us (he calls them sound bites). By far my favorite was from earlier this semester. We were talking about the questions of examination when we get to Heaven and Len said that the question we will be asked by the Holy Three, Holy One is "Show me your hands. Are they wet and dirty?"

For some this may seem odd, but for me it makes perfect sense. If we have internalized our faith then it will lead us to action. For Christians this means being in the margins of society with those whom others have pushed aside. We will be fighting for life right alongside of them getting dirty in the process.

Yet, far too often this is not how I live, especially as a student. I feel that I do what I can, but its not enough. And I fear as a pastor that I will be in the same perdictament. Really this is why I love community organizing. You are right out there, fighting oppressive powers and living life with those on the margins. You are not a margin visitor, but a margin dweller. We are not called to be the active Body of Christ when we feel like it, rather we are called to continually and constantly be the body. But the church has become defined by four walls, and not out in the dirt in solidarity. Oh Church, show me your hands!

No comments: