About Me

My photo
My heart beats for love. I want to be different. I want to be who I am called to be. WORTHY and LOVED!

Sunday, August 16, 2009

Sabbath

As I woke up this morning and went through my daily internet routine, I was disturbed by a large number of people's facebook statues. These people spoke of rising early to get work done, taking a brief break to go to church, and returning for more frantic work. It reminded me of a conversation I had with some of the people on the Taize trip about why people like to go to earlier church services - so they can "get on with their day".

This, my friends, is not Sabbath.

When I was in third grade I remember reading one of the Little House on the Prairie books that described Laura's disgust when she had with celebrating the Sabbath. She was upset because she couldn't play or read anything but the Bible. She had to sit and be quiet (which if you've ever read any of the Little House books you know that this i not within her character).

But I crave to go back to those days. Days that I only have slight inklings of. Days where the Sabbath was truly set apart as the Lord's Day, not the Lord's hour or the Lord's service. I've been thinking about how I would like to approach this coming school year, and I know one of the things I've been dwelling on is the celebration of the Sabbath. A day set apart for my renewal through worship. Why do we dismiss such a grand gift that God has blessed us with?

No comments: