About Me

My photo
My heart beats for love. I want to be different. I want to be who I am called to be. WORTHY and LOVED!

Sunday, August 9, 2009

Personal Legend

Recently, I finished reading The Alchemist, which I thought was amazing. While some pastors are speaking out against the book, I found that it enhanced my own view on my life and my calling.

"What is a personal calling? It is God's blessings, it is the path that God chose for you here on Earth. Whenever we do something that fills us with enthusiasm, we are following our legend."

There is so much that brings me enthusiasm: travel, care, preaching, the Eucharist, liturgy, massage, serving, teaching, The Hebrew Scriptures, yet I don't know how it all fits together for my personal legend. But I do know that part of my struggle with going into pastoral ministry in my particular denomination is a fear that there will not be room to let the Spirit of the Lord take me on a journey. For as I follow the Spirit, I am going onward in my personal legend.

I can look back and find joy in all parts of my life, even the dark areas, because I can see through the eyes viewing the past, that they were part of my legend. In the end of the book, after the main character had went through this whole long path to pursue his legend that brings him back to right where he left, he asks why he couldn't just have found the treasure first. He is told it is because he was being blessed with seeing the beauty of the world. Often we get so caught up in getting to the end of something that we forget about the beauty of the journey. What a shame. For our personal legend are not about the end, but about following the desire in our hearts that God has given us through all of our life.

4 comments:

JDP said...

Sweet! This post makes extraordinarily happy! I'm glad it touched your heart, your soul, and your spirit in a way that has increased communion with God. :) I do think it's interesting that some Pastors find the book controversial, I had not known that before. I think though that it applies quite godly ideals to a folk tale of sorts. It's such an accessible book, I think it'd be more likely to point a person to the Creator, rather than away. :)
Also, I quite admire yous enjoyment of taking care of Shane. I think I often feel like my life is far from "home," as Shane's is, and so it's nice to know there are people like you who enjoy caring for people like us. Ttyl! Peace and love!

Donna Olivia said...

I love The Alchemist and your post! The Alchemist was a required read in my Pastoral Formation class. I literally ate the book. I let it linger on my tastebuds, swallowed, felt it glide down my throat, and knew that it was nourishing me as my spirit digested it. I am glad that it nourished your spirit as well!

One Crazy Girl said...

Yay!! I'm glad you finally read it. :)

One Crazy Girl said...
This comment has been removed by the author.