About Me

My photo
My heart beats for love. I want to be different. I want to be who I am called to be. WORTHY and LOVED!

Tuesday, August 18, 2009

"A person's a person"

The oft quoted line from Dr. Seuss' Horton Hears a Who is "A person's a person no matter how small". As a person of smaller stature I love this quote - it is actually hanging on my wardrobe door in front of me as I type this. And as a person going into ministry this is my mantra. No matter what characteristics the world uses to tear people down, I want to have a ministry that points out the Beloved nature in others so that they know that they are worthy of the divine love that they are receiving, but perhaps don't recognize.

That being said, I think we also need to remember that a person's a person no matter how big. We live in a society that feeds off of celebrities - movie stars, sports figures, TV actors and actresses, musicians. If it is entertainment, we cling to it and live vicariously through others. But the thing is, that person is human and deserves to be treated as such. They are worth no more honor or glory then anyone else is another field. What if we celebrated everyone's talent equally? If we saw that the doctor, and actress, and student, and secretary, and clergy, and garbage collector all had talents and gifts that make them suited for their job and a blessing to the world? Would people start to actually feel loved? Would suicide rates decrease? Would we cease living in the rat race that is American culture, where everyone competes to get to the top or be the "best" (what even is the best?)? And how much time and energy could we save if we stopped following around people via the media and tabloids because we deem them to be special?

What life could we live if we fully embraced "a person's a person no matter what"