About Me

My photo
My heart beats for love. I want to be different. I want to be who I am called to be. WORTHY and LOVED!

Thursday, June 4, 2009

Ableism - Post # ?

   We are sitting on the floor at Annual Conference in front of the youth. And tonight was a struggle. I'm watching a good friend of mine crying with grief a few rows in front of me while a pastor is giving a fantastic sermon and the youth were mocking his pronunciation of some of the words. And I took issue.
   So after the service I turned around and asked who said it, even though I already knew, and they all denied it and looked shocked. I went on to explain that there was a time that pastor wouldn't have even be allowed to preach with a speech issue and that we need to back away from a big word called Ableism. They didn't understand that at all, but maybe someday they will. They did understand that no one knows where his wife was sitting and if someone heard them (which they probably did because they were loud) then it could hurt her. 
   Lesson friends, ableism is alive and well, even at a church conference. And people still lie even at a conference. Both of which don't sit well with me. 

No comments: