About Me

My photo
My heart beats for love. I want to be different. I want to be who I am called to be. WORTHY and LOVED!

Friday, June 1, 2007

When did we loose theology?

"The church is not a steeple. The church is not a resting place. The church is the people.
I am the church. You are the church. We are the church together!"

This is one of the first hymns that I ever learned, complete with hand motions (my favorite being "The church is the people" where you interlock your fingers and wiggle them.

As adults we still sing this song. In fact we sang it in church about two weeks ago. But I wonder if we actually think about the theology behind the words we sing. If we would we'd realize how far we've strayed from the idea that you and I are the church.

Earlier this week I was told that one of my ministries couldn't be advertised because it was in competition with another ministry and when people have choices, they might choose the wrong thing. Since when is church not about giving people options for discipleship. If I've learned anything in Spiritual Formations its that we each have a unique way to grow closer to God. There is no such this as cookie cutter discipleship and discipline.

When has the idea of a service once a week or a building replaced the Church - the people. I think this is at the root of a much bigger problem with our eschatology. We've went from the Kingdom being "present and not yet" to just "not yet". Forgot about actually doing something for the Kingdom today, no just work towards Heaven. Accept Christ then forget about him.

We need to start being the church again - being with each other, reaching out to those who don't know Christ, and healing the brokenness. We're selling our selves short, Body, when we miss the true meaning of the Church. A simple children's hymn gets it, why don't we?

No comments: