About Me

My photo
My heart beats for love. I want to be different. I want to be who I am called to be. WORTHY and LOVED!

Monday, June 27, 2016

Wisdom of Mentors

    I had a very interesting conversation today during a follow up interview with a wonderful organization that has gifted me grants over the years for ministry. During the course of an hour I shared my call story and talked about the wonderful folks who have helped shape my life and ministry. At one point the interviewer stopped me and said "I just want you to know that you have wisdom beyond your 29 years". She went on to state that most of what I was sharing was so different then other folks she was interviewing, especially in that I sought mentors out even when my time of officially needing them was over.
   Honestly, I cannot imagine my life without mentors. Those colleagues I can turn to and essentially say "help, I've never done this before" or "I'm in above my head." Even now that my awesome "unofficial mentor" as I like to call him has been appointed as a DS, I've sought out another clergy person in my area to turn to if needed.
   When asked where I learned to trust my DS and turn to colleagues and mentors for help, I could not help but think of one of my first mentors who modeled that for me when he was in need of help or simply needed someone to talk to. That modeling was a defining point in training me for ministry that I hope to pass on to those I mentor as well.
   At the end of the day we all need colleagues and mentors who can help us, because it can be hard work making disciples of Jesus Christ for the transformation of the world. And in the words of my bishop for our annual conference theme this year: "we are better together!"

No comments: