About Me

My photo
My heart beats for love. I want to be different. I want to be who I am called to be. WORTHY and LOVED!

Tuesday, June 28, 2016

Historic Examination - Faith in Christ

   I am always moved by the questions asked for the historic examination of those becoming elders and deacons in the United Methodist Church. I appreciate that we are all asked the same thing and that beyond our similar answer - generally a yes or a no depending on the question - is a story, a depth that has been probed over years by DComms and BOOMs. This year at annual conference I decided to start to blog through my own answers to the historic questions, though it has taken me a couple weeks to make this desire a reality.

Question one: Have you faith in Christ?

  While it is imperative that leaders who are ordained to preach the good news of Jesus Christ have a deep relationship with Christ - what that relations looks like and how it has developed over the years is unique to each of us.

  For me, I grew up in the local United Methodist Church, but the prologue to my faith story probably came in my parents picking that church over the others that they visited while trying to decide where to raise their family in the faith. The congregation I grew up in deeply loved the Lord and loved me. They are not perfect people, but they showed me some of the best qualities of Jesus, grace, love, and humility. They are a vital part to my faith in Christ.
   We were the type of family that if the doors were open, we were there. Perhaps because of the about of time spent in the church, I never actually entertained the thought of becoming a pastor. I just liked being in church. It was there that I learned the stories of Christ, through song and word, around the communion table and the coffee table.
   While there is not a big moment where I was saved or came to know Jesus, I grew with Jesus over the years in remarkable ways. I started teaching Sunday School to kindergartners - learning how to take the wonderful lessons I had been blessed with and pass them on to the next generation. I served in local, national, and international mission trips. I helped lead VBS. I was given opportunities to lead and serve. All the while learning new things about Christ living in me as I was poured out.
    Faith is something that is not just a belief is the head, but something that is lived out with our hands and heart, which I deeply appreciate about the United Methodist Church. I believe that our Lord is still moving, in and through us, for the sake of the Kingdom of God.

   What does faith mean and look like for you? What is part of your faith story?

No comments: