About Me

My photo
My heart beats for love. I want to be different. I want to be who I am called to be. WORTHY and LOVED!

Monday, August 31, 2015

Seeing it Both Ways

   On my desk I have a collection of words of praise and encouragement that were spoken over me by campers and staff this summer. One is a phrase I never really saw coming "Thinks before she speaks." But I realized that those words are becoming more and more true in my life - I think before I speak... at least sometimes.
   But I know that I need to think before I speak because I often see things that others do not see in situations. I am truly Methodists or "via middle" because I can see both sides of an argument or position or discussion. I get where both people are coming from. Even when I am passionate about something, I can understand why someone else may not be or why they may not agree with me.
   The funny thing is that even seeing things from both sides can cause problems. People want you to agree with them without question. They want to feel as if they are right and be affirmed that there way is the only way - and I'm generally not the person to get sucked into immediately agreeing. Instead, I hold a position loosely - looking at it from all sides. Listening, more than speaking. Asking questions more than giving answers. Especially as I get older.
   How do you find yourself responding in conversations?

No comments: