About Me

My photo
My heart beats for love. I want to be different. I want to be who I am called to be. WORTHY and LOVED!

Sunday, June 9, 2013

What Goes Into Who You Are?

     This past week I've been reflecting on what exactly makes a person who they are - especially what reflects their character. Some times we seem quick to attribute every little accident or happening to a person's character without considering the circumstances. Other times we overlook values that truly are part of one's character.
    This lead me to think about myself. And to think about others whom I know and treasure dearly. What makes you know someone? Is it the memories you have with them? Knowledge of events of significance in their past? Living into the future together? The answer to all of these things is of course, yes. But at the same time we could know someone for years and not know of those little (and big) things that say something about who a person is at their depths. This resounded with me as I was parking my car in Lewisburg this week. Often, when I know how much time I will be in a place, I add two extra quarters. One to allow for more time to be in a place or with a person, to not have to rush. And another to give a gift to the person who will park their after me. I'm not sure that anyone has ever realized that I do this - but it does reveal something about who I am. It speaks of the value I put on relationships and experiences, seeking to live into them in the fullest. And it speaks of generosity and the discipline of random acts of kindness, which I highly value. And both the generosity and hospitality towards what the day may hold flow from my relationship with God.
     How do we plum the depths of another person's character? By getting to know ourselves better. By being gracious unto ourselves so we can extend that grace to others. By recognizing what truly reflects our character so we can look for those things in others, in hopeful anticipation. But all of this - self-knowing and getting to discover other's true character, takes time. But it is certainly well worth it.

No comments: