About Me

My photo
My heart beats for love. I want to be different. I want to be who I am called to be. WORTHY and LOVED!

Tuesday, March 12, 2013

GBCS


In early February I had the opportunity to gather with other young clergy to become familiarized with the General Board of Church and Society of the UMC in Washington, DC. For non-Methodists, GBCS tends to be the most criticized of the general boards and agencies of the UMC, mostly because people do not agree with some of the positions they take. However, it should be noted that all of the positions reflect what has been adopted by the General Conference of the church. So perhaps it could better be stated that people object to either the church speaking out in a way that backs their own positions or that people just don’t know that such positions exist.
Being at the GBCS building for four days made me extremely proud to be United Methodist. I am not a very political person, at least in the traditional sense of the word. However, I believe in supporting people as a church, which can be traced back to the original greek part of politics, polis. To be at the building, which is the only non-governmental building on Capitol Hill, reminds me that the UMC cares deeply for people. That we speak out for those whom do not have lobbiest to represent them. We are being the church in a very non-traditional way. And that what we say matters. We are part of a denomination that thinks outside of the box, when we are at our best, in how to transform the world. And that makes me proud. 

No comments: