About Me

My photo
My heart beats for love. I want to be different. I want to be who I am called to be. WORTHY and LOVED!

Friday, June 5, 2009

Peter Pan and Wendy

Peter Pan Syndrome - the belief that one does not need to grow up, because of a fear of responsibility. Based off of the story of Peter Pan by J.M. Barrie centered in Neverland, the place where people did not need to grow up. People with Peter Pan syndrome (which primarily affects men) pity themselves whenever they become disappointed about anything. These men are often incapable of sharing emotions, and when they are not emotionally paralyzed then their emotions are exaggerated and out of control. These issues with emotions make it difficult to express love or care for others, as they refuse to share such intimacy. Other characteristics include silly behavior, a lack of emotional maturity, and a desire to hide inner securities. 

The Wendy Syndrome - Companion to Peter Pan syndrome. Usually affects women and is marked by acting  like a mother to those who are close to them. These women takes on the decision making ability and responsibility that "Peters" in their lives lack.

I am a Wendy and I have surrounded myself with far too many Peters. Men who refuse to take responsibility and like being taken care of. I can see how this is negatively effecting me, but I am at a loss as to how to stop being a Wendy. Stop needing to take care of people. Oh Wendy. If you surround yourself with Peters how will you ever find someone to be the man in your life?

No comments: