About Me

My photo
My heart beats for love. I want to be different. I want to be who I am called to be. WORTHY and LOVED!

Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Godspell

   Last weekend I went to see a local production of Godspell. For those of you who don't know, this is a musical that tells of the life and select parables of Jesus set in in NYC during the 60s. Jesus embodies what it means to be a hippie. This got me thinking - what if Jesus is best represented by a hippie? How would that make church people feel? Because in many ways Jesus embodies the 60s - teachings that few understand, teaches about life and love, and also teaches an anti-political and radical message. Can we still live out this message today? Or have we taken the hippie out of Jesus and replaced him with the sanitized business man? What have the ramifications been?

No comments: