About Me

My photo
My heart beats for love. I want to be different. I want to be who I am called to be. WORTHY and LOVED!

Thursday, May 14, 2009

The Medicine Wheel


    Yesterday during Shalom Training we looked the one of the Native American Medicine Wheels. There are four animals and seasons that are around the wheel, representing four different personality types. At the top of the wheel in the season of Winter - where the Buffalo represents those people who are driven, task oriented, group organizers, and work for the "greater good", however the Buffalo tends to be demanding upon others and not centered on relationships. To the East is the Eagle flying through Summer. The Eagle is a visionary - full of long views and idealism, but the Eagle often lacks the ability to put details to plans. To the South in Spring we find the deer/ squirrel/ mouse depending on the specific wheel. These docile animals are relationship oriented but are often not driven. And finally to the West we find the Brown Bear in Fall, who are good with data collection and focus on how things have worked in the past, but lack vision and are often viewed as judgemental.
    The wheel in and of itself is great, but I don't find myself fitting in a particular category. I fit in the center. Almost exactly. Which is rare, apparently. Often people need to force themselves to work their way around the circle and understand others. 
     I believe in affirming the gifts from other. Telling what I appreciate in them. And I can work my way across the circle, bridging gaps. When we get so stuck in categories instead of working towards the middle then we suffer and take away something from others instead of blessing them. 

No comments: