About Me

My photo
My heart beats for love. I want to be different. I want to be who I am called to be. WORTHY and LOVED!

Sunday, January 4, 2009

Gender Inclusion

   Sometimes that which we hate the most becomes the best thing for us. I was so fearful of Gender Inclusive language at the beginning of the semester. I thought it was a dedragration to the scriptures and to God. But the more that I explore the scriptures I see that it is an accurate way to talk about the beauty and transcendent nature of the Holy and Divine Godhead. It is also necessary in the age we live in. This past weekend I have been reminded of how many people are hurt by the image of God as Father, after being abused by their own Father or Father figure. And try as we might, it is hard to see God as loving when using the same vocabulary as that which has destroyed us in the past. 
   I also cannot help but cringe when we so freely throw around words (albeit scriptural) that have hurt so many as well. Even those who talk about making the church relevant use these words with little thought to how they have been used to oppress our brothers and sisters. The Word can be a sword or a plow, and we all too often return it to the sword without even knowing it. 
   However, at the same time, our Churches are uneducated about inclusive language. I referred to God as "he/she" this past weekend at a conservative conference. The results varied, but most were looks of shock and appal. But God is truly limited by our meager vocabulary, and that should be acknowledged, along with the realization comes the responsibility to think about our neighbor in all we say and do, even if it is referring to the Godhead.

No comments: