About Me

My photo
My heart beats for love. I want to be different. I want to be who I am called to be. WORTHY and LOVED!

Friday, December 19, 2008

Oh Theology

On my way home from school the other day I found a CD of worship songs and stuck it in to sing to. It didn't take me long to start skipping songs left and right because I didn't agree with what they were saying. Some were out-right unBiblical. Some were way too "Jesus is my boyfriend, so screw the world". But the one that upset me the most was Fields of Grace, specifically for the line "There's a place where religion finally dies".
Maybe I'm just not versed in my Bible well enough, but where did Christians get the idea that "it's about a relationship, not a religion" because as far as I read, that's not Biblical. I guess if you stretched Paul you could say that Romans advocates for this idea with the language about the law, but that's only if you stretch it pretty far out of context. It's lines like this that just increase anti-semintism and create supersensionist tendancies.
I for one like religion. In fact I think its benefical. I also think that a religion reminds people that its not just you and Jesus. That our relationship with the divine produces good relationships with our neighbors. Religion reminds us that we are part of a body of believers who hold us accountable. And tradition is weaved into everything we do, say, and believe.

No comments: