About Me

My photo
My heart beats for love. I want to be different. I want to be who I am called to be. WORTHY and LOVED!

Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Communion

My junior year at Houghton, roughly around Ash Wed, there was a sermon preached on what we should feel when we come to the communion table that really set my heart and mind a buzz. Essentially we were to not come to the table with a solemn attitude, but rather rejoicing as we prepare for the Heavenly Agape meal. Needless to say, I didn't fully agree. I felt that God is a God of all emotion, creating each for a time and place, and thus when we approach the meal we should be able to feel what we wish.
Fast forward to today, at orientation at Drew, I saw the ability to have mixed emotions come to life. While not strictly the intention or meaning behind offering both wine and juice at the Lord's Supper, I saw this as a choice. Do you feel the deep bitterness of sin today and grieve Christ's suffering - take the bitter wine. Do you sense the sweet taste of freedom from sin - take the juice. While, yes, other denominations do offer both wine and juice it is usually wine primarily with juice if you need it, not a choice like this.
May you fully feel each feeling you have as you approach the table next time you have communion.

No comments: