About Me

My photo
My heart beats for love. I want to be different. I want to be who I am called to be. WORTHY and LOVED!

Saturday, December 29, 2007

Have we been led astray?

"So I command enjoyment, for there is nothing better for people under the sin than to eat, and drink and enjoy themselves, for this will go with them in their toil through the days of life so that God gives them under the sun." Ecclesiastes 8:15

As I read this passage today I was struck by how contrary this is to how we've been raised in the church. We have been told that desiring good food is glutinous, having fun isn't Godly, and well we won't even get into the evils of wine. But this isn't how God has created us! God has created all good things for our enjoyment. He likes to see us smile and enjoy the earth. In ways we've taken the whole idea that "this earth is not my home" too far. Yes, it is true, we are made for Heaven, but that by no means indicates that we should be miserable now. 

I'm not advocating that we should go overboard and gorge, become drunk, or indulge our sexual appetites outside of marriage. God has laid ground roles for the fun we can have, but those rules are in place because he loves us and doesn't want us to hurt ourselves or others.

I grew up in a home with rules. There were family rules, school rules, church roles, and self-imposed rules. But I still had an awesome and fun childhood filled with memories that I like to return to, like a slide show in my mind. God gives us limitations, so that we honor him, but those rules do not lead to a kill joy. If anything they just make the fun we have more enjoyable because there is a smaller chance to hurt ourselves. 

I've been thinking a lot lately of the times that make me smile. I've been disciplining myself to think of good moments from the past and from the current day each night before I sleep, and thank God for those moments. God is a God of memories, he calls us to remember his faithfulness to us, but that's really hard if we don't allow ourselves to thank him for the moments that stick out in our mind - the moments we had fun. 

In Australia, we were told time and time again at the Broadmeadows ministry that we are a shining light to the kids because they had never met kids our age who are Christians and can have fun. Wow. What a poor witness if we just make Christianity into a list of don'ts and forget that God created us to enjoy life. Are you enjoying life? Can others witness to that?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.