About Me

My photo
My heart beats for love. I want to be different. I want to be who I am called to be. WORTHY and LOVED!

Thursday, September 6, 2007

Birthdays Come and Go

So I’m another year older, officially 21. In America it’s such a big deal because you can drink. I guess that’s sort of important, but seeing as how that’s not an issue here, I have actually appreciated the Australian views of 21 a lot more. 21 is the age of perfection – a multiple of the two holy numbers in Christianity 7 and 3. It is the time when you are given the key to your own life and must leave childhood behind and be accountable for you decisions. It is the door opening to true adulthood. Much more profound then ‘let’s go get hammered’ if you ask me, but we did have one guy in my Aus Lit class tonight allude to the fact that is what he will be doing upon turning 21. I think it’s a mark of maturity to see past the alcohol to something much deeper and often forgotten.
It was really odd to spend my birthday with little communication with my parents. I did get to talk to them twice this week, which is a big deal, but not on my actual birthday (although it is really still my birthday back home as I write this in a word document on my laptop to post tomorrow). That’s hard. My family has always been close, and this really is a holiday to be shared with them.
But HDU tried to make the best of it. Apparently, I found out that two of my friends were going to get up early to cook me breakfast in bed, which is so sweet, but I beat them up. Haha. So I actually get a redeemable magnum bar experience instead. Which is amazing. During my first class everyone sang to me. Oh and we made this amazing dinner (we being my flatmates, Shane, Jeremiah, and I) in part to get the guys to eat healthier and in part just to celebrate life. We made (from scratch) honey glazed salmon, butter and parsley rice, salad (consisting of two types of lettuce, grated cheese, tomato, cucumber, carrot, and apple), steamed green beans, and homemade mac and cheese. Then for dessert we had kiwi and strawberries. Amazing. And of course we partook of a little bit of our namesake. Haha. So funny story, Shane and I were discussing dinner today and then were talking with a group of people later and we have come to realize that we only really talk in partial sentences to one another that no one else get. I’m not really sure if that’s a bad thing or not, but it makes for a humorous time. Anyway, so we have this fantastic meal and ate so much, then about an hour into my night class tonight HDU threw me a surprise party with this massive cake, which is a big deal here, to have cake. It was such a nice gesture.
So here I sit, another year older. Ready to run hard after life. Ready to run hard after God, and so thankful that he created me and placed me in a world where I am LOVED across oceans and right in front of my face.

No comments: