About Me

My photo
My heart beats for love. I want to be different. I want to be who I am called to be. WORTHY and LOVED!

Saturday, July 2, 2016

Historical Examination - Doctrine and Polity

Questions: Have you studied the doctrine of the United Methodist Church? After full examination do you believe that our church doctrines are in harmony with the Holy Scriptures? Have you studied our form of Church discipline and polity? Do you approve our Church government and polity? Will you support and maintain them?
Answer: Yes

Doctrine is a statement of what we believe as a church. Polity is the form of governance we have to help us live into what we believe. This series of questions we have many people struggle with.

When I first arrived at my current appointment, the PPRC had said they wanted someone who would uphold and follow the Book of Discipline - or the book that explains our doctrine and polity. While this was probably referring to tension around the LGBTQA discussion in the UMC, I am a firm believer that we do not simply follow part of the Discipline, or follow the rule but ignore the Spirit. If we are going to follow the Discipline, we are going to follow the Discipline to the best of our ability.

Recently, I was approached about nominations and positions of leadership at the local church level. We had implemented the requirements around term limits and their was question about why we did this when the local church had voted to set aside those term limits. But the Discipline does not allow for the local church to vote in such a way. If we are going to follow the Discipline, we are going to follow the Discipline to the best of our ability.

On the other hand, questions need to be asked about both the Book of Discipline and the Book of Resolutions if they are in line with our corporate understanding of who God is and how the Spirit is moving amongst us. Are they concerned with seeking justice, loving mercy, and walking humbly with our God? This is where there is a lot of struggle right now.

I don't have the right answers. I don't have any answers most days. And I cannot speak for every elder in the church. I simply live into the tension, while knowing for this moment in time, I am to uphold the Book of Discipline, while praying and seeing where the Spirit leads the corporate church, because this is what I promised to do at my ordination.

No comments: