About Me

My photo
My heart beats for love. I want to be different. I want to be who I am called to be. WORTHY and LOVED!

Thursday, October 1, 2015

Life Lessons Learned in Airports

   Normally, I enjoy flying. My body doesn't particularly like long car trips, so flying offers an alternative. Plus, I've also thought it better to just go with the flow instead of stressing out with travel. However, days like today, days when storms are on the way, remind me of the different things that airports have to teach us, with clear sky or pending hurricanes.
   First, pack light. The less you have, the more quickly you can change your plans. A few years ago there was a bit of an uproar when companies started to charge for you to check bags, but I found it freeing. It encouraged me to pack light and not take extra things I really don't need. Thought I will also be the first to admit that it is hard for me to do more than a week on one carry on and one personal item alone. Today that came in handy when I was able to run through the security line in order to catch the only other flight leaving Atlanta towards my destination outside of the last one of the evening, which was already threatening delays.
   Second, in your packing bring something to entertain yourself during long periods of waiting. Personally, I like podcasts and books, both of which satisfy my deep curiosity. I was telling my roommate at the conference I attended, that times of travel afford me the opportunity to not only read more, but to have more time to think about what I'm reading as well. I see travel as a gift, in this regard, more than a burden.
   Third, always be willing to help other people out. Flying home, there is a part of the terminal in Washington-Dullus, where it is designed for 4 planes to board pretty close to one another, which can result in confusion. We are all in the ins and outs of travel together. Help someone out. Offer a kind word or smile. Defuse frustration.

As for now, I'm exhausted after a few long, but wonderful days. More on this topic to come.

No comments: