About Me

My photo
My heart beats for love. I want to be different. I want to be who I am called to be. WORTHY and LOVED!

Monday, January 6, 2014

Traveler vs. Tourist

   Given the choice I would rather be a traveler than a tourist. I would rather prepare myself to be immersed in a  culture different than my own - setting myself aside as much as possible in order to grow through the experience. I want to learn the language, customs, and culture. I want to go where the locals go and take risks that stretch me.

  I don't want to be a person who goes somewhere exotic just so I can say I went. I don't want to be the same person I was when I come back from my travels. I don't just want to sample a culture, collect trinkets, and call it a day.

   As a leader in the local church I resonate with what Mark Buchanan writes in Your Church is Too Safe. Too many churches are tourist friendly, calling people to come with no commitment. Simply to believe whatever they want to believe, no cost involved. Churches are filled with people who call themselves Christian because its tradition or easy, but we seem to be lacking people who are really willing to travel the journey of faith as disciples. In the words of Buchanan "The Kingdom of God is made up for travelers, but our churches are largely populated by tourists."

 

No comments: