About Me

My photo
My heart beats for love. I want to be different. I want to be who I am called to be. WORTHY and LOVED!

Saturday, November 23, 2013

Not Everyone is the Same

   Somewhere along the line in the church we tricked ourselves into believing that everyone is the same, that everyone wants or needs the same thing. Generally, I call before going to visit people in the hospital or in their home to make sure they want the pastor to visit - because sometimes the answer is no. Which creates tension in the church that believes the pastor should always show up.
   But I deeply understand that we cannot assume what people need or desire. I'm not sure if I ever ended up in the hospital if I would want a pastor there. I can't make that call until I'm in that situation. But I do know that I am a deeply private person, and I don't like people just to show up.
   When did the job of the pastor become to treat everyone the same instead of honoring their wishes? Its it more important to fulfill the expectations of the church or the individual who is hurting?

No comments: