About Me

My photo
My heart beats for love. I want to be different. I want to be who I am called to be. WORTHY and LOVED!

Friday, March 2, 2012

Song for the Young Pastor

I was just told yesterday that my conference extended the age of young clergy to 38. All I can say is that this rate, I will be a young clergy forever. Perhaps because I am in the category, but especially for the flack I have received about being you, I am passionate about young clergy. I have been told by laity and pastors alike that young people do not have a place in ministry, in a variety of different ways. There was a day when young clergy were the norm, but now they are not, so paradoxically, people do not know what to do with us while at the same time begging for more young clergy.
I was thinking about that when this song from Aida played in my car the other day. The song is about assuming political leadership at a young age and a turbulent time, but I feel it is equally apt for young clergy:

Aida - Dance of the Robe
Its knowing what they want of me that scares me
Its knowing having followed, I must lead
Its knowing that each person there compares me
To those in my past who I now succeed

But how can whatever I do for them now, be enough, be enough

Aida, Aida
All we ask of you
Is a lifetime of service, wisdom, courage
To ask more would be selfish, but nothing less will do
Aida, Adia

The song goes on, but I can locate myself so well in this first verse and chorus. My version would go something like:

It knowing that they expect everything and nothing that scares me.
Knowing that they wanted someone who is their age not mine
But I have been disciples now I must lead
Its knowing that each person their compares me to those in their past
Whom I now succeed

So how can whatever I do for them now be enough? Be enough.

No comments: