About Me

My photo
My heart beats for love. I want to be different. I want to be who I am called to be. WORTHY and LOVED!

Monday, February 7, 2011

Politics of the Church

For the past week, I've spent many hours thinking about different questions that BOOM may ask next month at my ordination interview. I feel comfortable about all of the possibilities except for the "life issues section". I think I'm worried that these questions are going to turn out to be more about the churches political stance on issues, which are more matters of opinion then doctrine, polity, or political realities.
Some of the ones I'm worried about are: what are you views on premarital sex, abortion, LGBTQIQA ordination or marriage. To name a few.
For the past two weeks a lot of issues have been in the news about "Christian" views - chief of which involved the redefining of rape by the GOP to back-door in pro-life legislation that would not allow any government monies to go towards abortions that those who are raped by incest or in a date rape to be used. I don't think this is the "Christian" view. There isn't one view that can be ascribed to followers of Christ, especially when the Bible doesn't clearly state an opinion one way or another (at least not with good exegesis behind it).
Yet, coming from a conservative conference, I'm worried that I will be judged for my opinions that reflect more of my own personal exegesis then what I would preach or teach. And that is my biggest fear.

No comments: