About Me

My photo
My heart beats for love. I want to be different. I want to be who I am called to be. WORTHY and LOVED!

Sunday, June 7, 2009

Abortion and Ableism

A few days ago I pulled out a t-shirt at the bottom of my drawer to pack for one of my trips. The t-shirt reads "Hitler was wrong...every life is worthy of life." - Bob Lenz

Lenz is one of my favorite Christian speakers because most of the issues he is passionate about are dear to my heart. This shirt reminded me of a powerful message that Bob gave at Creation Fest a few years ago. He was speaking about how the Jews were not the only ones killed during the Holocaust. Some of the first people to be killed were the disabled. There was no hope for them. At the end of the message Bob brought out his sister who has down syndrome and asked if we affirmed that she was worthy of Life. 

I've written several times on how I believe that if Christians are for the right to life (ie against abortion) then they must also be against the death penalty. I still believe that. However, I want to add that if one is against abortion that one must also be against ableism. Far too often the Church and society as a whole mistreats people with disabilities, forcing them to be healed or ignoring them all together. When people are ignored they are told that they are not worthy of life. So may we job Bob Lenz in affirming ALL life, no matter what. 

No comments: