About Me

My photo
My heart beats for love. I want to be different. I want to be who I am called to be. WORTHY and LOVED!

Monday, February 2, 2009

#2

I have certain mantra's that I am known for. Some describe life and others describe people. This is my explanation of my two chief people mantras.

The first is, "you know what is in people's hearts by what comes out of their mouth". Really. Try this sometime. You can tell what is currently first in people's lives by listening to them talk. What is mentioned the most? Is a certain person or thing mentioned in a different way? Chances are that is what they are fixated on in the moment.  (Further question, is God usually whom people mention the most?)

#2 - This one is a bit less firm and has developed out of a pet peeve. "You can tell what people care about by the choices they make". As a addendum, the choices that people make consistently.

Yesterday was the Superbowl. For the last several years, the churches that I have attended have shifted their worship schedule to accommodate this game. It is as if they are assuming that given the choice, people would rather watch a game then worship. And for some people this may be true, but not all. An institution shouldn't make choices for a person, for each person needs to be able to make their own, especially when it comes to matters of faith. Because let's be honest, faith is always going to force us to make decisions. And from those decisions you can tell what people care about. 

No comments: