About Me

My photo
My heart beats for love. I want to be different. I want to be who I am called to be. WORTHY and LOVED!

Wednesday, November 12, 2008

It Takes Moving Away....

I've been noticing lately that sometimes it takes moving to a new place to re-discover who you are. When you become too saturated with the same people who are used to who you are and what you do, allowances are made for the amazing things you do as well as the dark parts of your personality that need a readjustment.

My roommate is always telling that I "amaze her". What do I do that makes her so shocked with happiness? Cook for others - both inviting others for dinner and making sure there is a snack for her and our other rommie every weekend. Send letters out to several people every week. Sending treats to my friends at Houghton through the campus mail system. Essentially I just have a huge heart for others that expresses itself in different ways.

I also seem to amaze one of my bosses by my work ethic, but more through some of my vocabualry choices.
"How are you, Michelle?"
"I'm excellent today."
Derek was take aback by the fact that I only answer for this present moment, this present day. Moods are not stable things by any stretch of the imagination. I also think by answering just for this present moment we protect ourselves from giving trite answers to others. When we have to think about what we say, it makes it more meaningful.

I also referred to someone the other day as "the nice man" and Derek stopped me, asking me how I knew he was nice. I responded that I just assume the best about people until they prove me wrong.

It takes moving away to have the unique person you are be acknoweldged. It takes moving away and having to think through why you do what you do, to acknoweldge who you are to yourself.
How sad, yet how liberating.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

we alaways felt you were amazing even when you didnt. love mom and dad