About Me

My photo
My heart beats for love. I want to be different. I want to be who I am called to be. WORTHY and LOVED!

Thursday, October 16, 2008

Rethinking Politics

Drew is a hotbed of political thought and debate. And while the University and the Theological School creates the idea that all ideas are welcome for discussion, I've been extremely hesitant to share my view, because I know that its going to create debate that is going to be more like a combat instead of thought producing and questioning. But someone asked me a pointed question where it was unavoidable to tell my stance.

And honestly, my political ideas are constantly changing. Or rather being refined. I've been thinking a lot of how Christians' relationship with government is similar to Abraham's relationship to God's promise of land and lineage. Let me explain: While not necessarily preached this way - Abraham literally whored off Sarah not once but twice and once after God promised that lineage would come from Abraham AND Sarah. Every time Abraham lost sight of God's exact promise and tried to achieve it on his own or by this own standards then he failed, horribly. When we as Americans start to look to the government to fulfill and live out the desires and concerns of God, we fail, horribly. We will always be disappointed because we are not looking truly to the ultimate source.

The more the Church becomes with politics the more we fail to live out what we are called to. Andrew made the point in Israel that once the government took up the work of the church especially with tending to the poor. Once welfare is legislated, the church declined in the ways they felt led to serve the poor. Someone else is taking care of "them" let's move on. But the problem is that the government will never really be able to take up all of the concerns of God. Showing mercy, love, and seeking justice. Hitched to big business there is no way to legislate to serve the people who are not the elite.

No, I don't vote. I read a blog lately that stated a person had to vote for the less of the two evils. Why should we have to settle, because when we align ourselves with the Godhead's agenda and see how different it is from the government then we can live it out. I also look to God pointing me, pointing Christians, pointing the Body of Christ to what God wills. And the unnecessity of the government to achieve it. One of my profs a few weeks ago made the statement, which he later apologized for, that Jesus's death on the cross was a double bird, F you to Satan AND to the government. Cesar didn't and couldn't control him. And this whole notion that the government and church should cooperate is strictly 3rd CE, post Constantine view. Hummm... good or bad? I'm all about separation of Christians in values. This is why martyrdom happened and still happens.

Joleen preached last week that when government fails then the church shines through. But when we look to government fails, and we were dependent upon government and look to it for our "salvation" we will never shine. Ever.

No comments: