About Me

My photo
My heart beats for love. I want to be different. I want to be who I am called to be. WORTHY and LOVED!

Friday, October 3, 2008

Intellectually Starved

While I was waiting to talk to one of my professors after class yesterday, I overheard her say something in response to another students question that impacted me. The student asked how she was to preach what we were currently learning in Old Testament Studies without getting fired. Essentially we are learning that what we've been preached to and taught about the OT for our lives is not what the text says or means. The student was at heart asking how do I preach something true and different without being fired?

The prof went on to say that she preached the exact lecture she gave us today on Exodus 1 and 2 as a sermon last year and that it, in all of its radicalness, was received well. She asked the student, then, where outside of the walls of a school you find real intellectually stimulating coversations. Nowhere. People are starved to be fed through intellectual stimulation, but the church time and time again starves them in order to keep up with the status quo.

What would happen if we started teaching something radical in our churches that really made us appreciate faith in life a different way?

No comments: