About Me

My photo
My heart beats for love. I want to be different. I want to be who I am called to be. WORTHY and LOVED!

Sunday, September 28, 2008

Giving Life

I'm taking part of a seminary pilot program called Fit to Lead which focuses on re-structuring the United Methodist stance towards total health and well being, mostly because the denomination as a whole is doing horribly. We had our first 3 hour FTL meeting this past Friday, of which there will be four throughout the course of the year. Each will have a different speaker (and emphasis). This first session focused on reframing our view of health in order to give life (ie not only look at the negatives but look at our own assests and hopes along with those of the community we belong to. It had the potential to be a wonderful topic and discussion, but sadly the presenter himself was very critical, to the point of being demeaning. It was hard to affirm what he was saying about giving life, when his own tone and attitude towards others (and I would say humanity in general) was so poor. It made me think a lot about myself and others whom I know are entering the ministry who suffer with the same critically harsh tongue. If we are truly to be God's life giving agents we need to have God transform our speech to make it affirming and even in our rebukes letting ourselves devalue people, because they are God's beautiful and wonderfully made creation. If we love the Holy One we should not attack his handmade, for like an Artist they are a reflection of him or her.



As a closing thought: Is it dangerous of the Church to uplift people to positions of teaching they are not qualified for? What are the risks and benefits?

No comments: