About Me

My photo
My heart beats for love. I want to be different. I want to be who I am called to be. WORTHY and LOVED!

Friday, June 6, 2008

Social Rules

Yesterday, as part of CPCUMC AC (Central Pennsylvania Conference of the United Methodist Church's Annual Conference) we signed cards committing ourselves to follow the three social rules of John Wesley:
Do no harm. Do good always. Stay in with Love God.

Not a few hours after this huge committing service for the clergey, lay members, and members at large we had the Committee of Church and Society present resolutions, some of which were shot down but clearly exemplify this whole committment we had just made. It's like when we make promises it means nothing if they interfer with our own personal beliefs. What a tragedy! If you can't even strive to honor this amazing code, which when coupled with sharing the good news of Christ, pretty much sum up being a Christian, then don't even bother signing it.

This code most struck me when I was preparing for the resolution about the death penality (and holding a moratorum for it) last evening. I normally take the stance that we cannot seperate our beliefs on abortion from the death penality- because of the whole "Thou shall not kill thing"

But how much more beautifully does the social rules express it. There is no way to support the killing of another human being, no matter what they've done, if you are striving to follow the social rules. The two that stick out to me the most are. Do no harm. I'm really curious how you don't harm someone when you sanction their death. And Love God - because when we Love God we are to love his children, which we ALL are.

So may you:
Do no harm. Do good. Love God.

And try to continually honor your commitment.

No comments: