About Me

My photo
My heart beats for love. I want to be different. I want to be who I am called to be. WORTHY and LOVED!

Sunday, March 23, 2008

Pro-Life

While I was in the doctor's office the other day I had a special treat, a TV was on and a news program was airing talking about Christians' influence in politics, especially where the evangelical vote lies in the upcoming election. The woman who was being interviewed made the comment that evangelicals are starting to feel that more is important in electing a president than where he or she stands on the "big issues" which were further classified as abortion, homosexual marriage, and stem cell research. 

Ahhh!!!! (Did you catch on to my anger and discontentment with that idea)

I really only want to hit on the abortion issue today and if I feel so inclined write about the others  later. But what exactly does it mean to be pro life? The common answer is that, as Christians we value the sanctity of human life and therefore are against abortion. Okay. I can buy that. But didn't Christ die for ALL people? So shouldn't ALL human life be considered worth fighting for?

A few years ago, the comment was made to me that it is hypocritical to be against abortion, but for the capitol punishment (ie the death penality in whatever form it is administered). I firmly agree. If all human life has value, and God is the one who deems our worth, then we don't have the right to say that grace extends to the unborn more than the murderer. 

But it goes so far beyond that. As Christians we are so stuck on seeing things in black and white that we miss the fact that one issue, such as being pro-life, doesn't just mean one thing. Being pro-life means that I care about genocide and feel that the lives of those who I don't see everyday, have value. It means that I believe that children shouldn't be going to war. It means I don't believe in "just war" because Christ says whoever lives by the sword will die by the sword. It means that when I think about the war in Iraq I see brothers and sisters who God has created who are dying because as Americans we had innocent people die in 09/11. What about the innocent civilians who are dying in Iraq? If I'm pro-life I have to stand for their lives to. 

And even sitting here, trying to expand my own view of what pro-life entails, I know that I'm missing things.  We need to value the lives of all people, because God has created all people. 

No comments: