About Me

My photo
My heart beats for love. I want to be different. I want to be who I am called to be. WORTHY and LOVED!

Thursday, October 11, 2007

I Hope this Offends You

I recently received an email in regards to a presentation that I've been trying to get at Houghton. The group coming would be TWLOHA (To Write Love on Her Arms) an anti-addiction, specifically cutting group. (Check them out: http://www.twloha.com/) Unfortunately they will not be coming to Houghton, although our Christian community has so many cutters, people struggling with eating disorders, and those not knowing if they are really supposed to live until tomorrow, because the two people who head TWLOHA never cut themselves. Bull.
So let me see if I get this straight? We've established that this message is NEEDED at Houghton. But they shouldn't present it because they don't struggle with that particular addiction. But we aren't going to find anyone to present the message who has cut either. Does this make sense? I hope not. If it does please explain it to me.
When is the Church going to start placing trust in God again? Seriously, let me know. All we seem to do is sit around and attack other people's ministries for this reason or that reason. They aren't bringing in enough money or people. We don't like who is the figure head for the organization. When are we going to see past all of that and realize that Christ works through ALL for his glory. Have we lost that somewhere in our hard hearts and fists tightly wadded around money.
The above stance about why TWLOHA shouldn't come to Houghton is something I might be able to agree with somewhere, somehow in my heart if their message wasn't for me to, even though I've never cut. If it wasn't the message that we all need to hear that we are WORTHY and LOVED which I need to wake up every morning believing, and some days folks that is just too hard. If the message wasn't for all of us who hate a piece if not all of ourselves and wonder why God placed us on this earth. If the message wasn't one of hope, a hope that we all need. But that doesn't matter because well, the speaker Jamie never took a sharp object to her flesh.
The message is also for me because addictions are part of my daily life. In fact, I've been praying about a ministry for those suffering from eating disorders and cutting back home. But oh well, God will never work through that ministry because I've never actually done those things. Bull. Ahhh....are you getting the point yet? God can't work through us if we never step up and who is going to step up if all we do is shoot them down. It's also saying that all of the times I've sat up and cried with friends, cleaned up wounds that were seeping with infections, listened to people on the verge of killing themselves, etc. But that doesn't matter. I have nothing to say. Because I've never cut.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Yeah, that made me so mad. And as I told you, haha, I wrote a brief letter in response and sent it to said person. I wanted to say mean things, because their reasoning and decisions were so biased and judgmental and close minded and messed up. But, yeah. I didnt. I was appropriate. I wish I could see said persons face when they got the letter. lol. Anyways, yeah. I plan on pursuing this issue more shortly. I miss you, lovely. And I am praying for you.

love,
me