About Me

My photo
My heart beats for love. I want to be different. I want to be who I am called to be. WORTHY and LOVED!

Wednesday, February 21, 2007

Ash Wed.

So today is an important day in the life of the Church - it is Ash Wed, the day which marks the beginning of Lent. I'm not sure why but I've always been a huge fan of the periods of preparation and celebration within the Church instead of the actual days themselves. For example I like Christmas and Easter but they feel so corrupted and superficial sometimes. But the seasons of Lent and Advent and Epiphany and Pentecost are these times that are just filled with personal and corporate reflection.

So today is Ash Wed, one of the major days during this period of preparation along with Maunday Thursday and Good Friday. All of these have had growing significance in my life as I study church history and litergy. I am in awe that a church father had the idea to create a time of reflection on the sinful creature I am, yet at the same time pointing me towards the cross joyfully. Amazing. I wish I could put into words what I feel right now, but I can't explain it.

I went to two services today. One was part of Evensong - a 30 minute bi-monthly liturgical service on campus. The other was in Bellfast. At Bellfast they actually made the ashes in front of us with the old palms and slips of paper where we wrote our sins. It wasn't the greatest smell. And I was thinking 'is this how God views my sin, a wretched smell?' But my friend Stefan pointed out that it could be a sweet smelling sacrifice to God.

I received ashes at Evensong and then just worshiped and reflected at the longer service at Bellfast. While I was praying a woman who I didn't know came up and tapped me on the shoulder and whispered "You have the most beautiful voice I've ever heard." I wasn't sure how to take that and maybe someday I'll post just on that.

When I got back to campus I was studying and hanging out with people. A few people pointed to my head and gestured that I needed to wipe off the mark and I explained about Ash Wed which led to people asking if I was Catholic. No, I am not Catholic, but Ash Wed is a universal Church holiday. One person told me that Lutherans and Catholics are the only ones that celebrate it. Well, I'm UMC and here I am. If, and I do stress if, this is solely a Catholic holy day, why couldn't we as Protestants claim its meaning as well as Lents in order to enrich our spiritual lives? We need to start seeing our brothers and sisters in Christ as those who are traveling the road to the cross with us. We need to encourage one another and point each other to truth and if Ash Wed I will not shy away.

No comments: