About Me

My photo
My heart beats for love. I want to be different. I want to be who I am called to be. WORTHY and LOVED!

Monday, October 10, 2016

#healthypastors - Ask for Help

   I had a follow up interview a few months ago with an organization I have partnered with quite a few times. The interviewer was surprised at my admitting, repeatedly, that I asked other people for help. In fact, I ask for help a lot. I ask it from my superiors when I have no idea what to do. Though my time of officially needing a mentor is over, I find unofficial mentors at each appointment who have more experience than me to help navigate some situations that crop up. I ask lay folks for help that have more experience in related fields that I do. I ask colleagues for help and lay people in the congregations. I need help and I readily ask.
   The interviewer commented this was a sign of my wisdom and maturity. Friends and colleagues, if it is now considered mature to ask for help, how far we have fallen. This shouldn't be a sign of maturity it should be standard. Every time. When we don't ask for help it is as if we are saying that we should be able to do everything on our own, which isn't true at all. I also have a hunch that if we are hesitant to ask other people for help, we also probably struggle with asking for God for help - and lets be honest, you can't lead the church without help from God.
   Where do you turn when you need help with ministry? How is this a sign of health for you?

No comments: