About Me

My photo
My heart beats for love. I want to be different. I want to be who I am called to be. WORTHY and LOVED!

Monday, August 29, 2016

#healthypastor - Cooking

  Over the past several years I have learned to have a love for cooking. I'm a vegetarian due to a food allergy, and have a few other food intolerances, so I want to know exactly what is going into my food. I usually make one or two dishes that will get me through most of the week. This past week I made a vegetable curry and veggie based pasta salad. I have a deep joy that comes from knowing that I made the food that I'm eating and that it is healthy.
  The problem with many pastors is that so much of our day revolves around food - those potluck meals. Eating out with congregation members and colleagues. Not having time to eat in between meetings, so grabbing fast food. My congregations know about my food allergies so I am unapologetic when I can't try everything at the potluck. I also try to make good choices about food when I'm out for meetings, taking time to ask what is in the food I'm eating or how it is prepared. I am try to keep the number of food-based meetings per week to 1 or 2 at the most, asking to meet for tea or simply to chat instead.
   But even with all of that said, it can still be hard to sit down and eat a home cooked meal. I try to also think about healthy snacks. Because we all have difference preferences and different dietary needs, what I like to snack on may not be the same for you. Some of my go to snacks are pieces of fruit, vegetables with hummus, granola bars, Sargentio Snack Trays, nuts, and fruit mixed with cottage cheese. If I know I'm going to be out of the office for a long day, I throw a piece of fruit and a granola bar in my bag. I also try to schedule my day so that I will have time to sit down and eat meals.
   What are some of the healthy choices you are making around food during your work week?

No comments: