About Me

My photo
My heart beats for love. I want to be different. I want to be who I am called to be. WORTHY and LOVED!

Thursday, June 9, 2016

Double-Standard?

   Something has been pricking at my conscience weeks later after General Conference. It was hard to put words to at first, hence the nagging sense. But something that I appreciated during the Religious Coalition for Reproductive Choice discussion was the General Board of Church and Society staff person who is tasked with women's health made the comment that we are at the table to be engaged and see changes through our presence and engagement. Engagement not leaving the table was the path forward. Then we voted to leave.
    Yet around the issue of fossil fuels there was a big push from the Board of Pensions to stay for engagement and not divestment and we accepted that.
    Double standard?
    Now don't get me wrong - I was on a committee tasked with studying divestment options in seminary and it is a tangled mess, especially with certain types of investments - but still. Why were we so eager to stay at one table and yet leave another? Because environmental concerns is not an evangelical hot button issue. We make choices based off of what makes us comortable vs. what becomes a hot button issue/ slogan/ something we can use to define our family (though not necessarily rightly so since our faith should effect our whole lives not just political issues).
    We need to pray to remove the double standards from our lives and our faith so we can be whole, healthy, faithful people. It's time for the double standards to end.

No comments: