About Me

My photo
My heart beats for love. I want to be different. I want to be who I am called to be. WORTHY and LOVED!

Sunday, May 15, 2016

What Happened to the Moderates?

   What happened to the moderates at General Conference? I feel as I look at the depressing twitter feed coming around the screen the last few days that the moderate voice of the United Methodist Church is being drowned out. With rallying cries from the extremes on both sides of some important issues, we forget how to have conversation. And we forget all about the moderates, who could help us see each other's sides and view each other as human.

   Why do we need the moderates you ask? Because one of the proposals presented quite a while ago was that we actually talk, and I mean really talk, about these issues in local churches. Present both sides and let them discern where they fall with all of the facts, not just the assumptions. The proposal in those exact words may not exist anymore, but we still need to be able to talk about a whole issue, not just our particular view. We need the moderates to help us have informed, meaningful, conversation with one another - instead of just picking a side and yelling at each other to change our minds. We need the moderates because they can potentially help keep the church from fracturing.


No comments: