About Me

My photo
My heart beats for love. I want to be different. I want to be who I am called to be. WORTHY and LOVED!

Thursday, May 19, 2016

Did We Forget our DNA?

   I have been struggling with watching General Conference off and on this week - at times I've had to simply walk away to pray and reflect. What I'm struggling with is actually not the sexuality issues - I trust that our God is big enough to lead us through this time of tension with one another. What I've struggled with is wondering if we have lost our DNA.
   What some people don't know about me is that I explored other churches before finally deciding on being ordained in the United Methodist Church. I grew up United Methodist but in high school and college also attended a Wesleyan Church. In seminary I was part of an Episcopal Church. While at college I was part of a Presbyterian Church Plant. And whenever I'm worshipping at a church I want to know what they believe. While each of those other denominations had some wonderful pieces of theology, I choose to be ordained in the United Methodist Church because I deeply believe in our theology. I love that we are a church that engages both the heart and the head. I love that we believe in both social holiness AND social justice - not one or the other. I believe deeply in our explanation of grace - that God makes the way for us to accept Christ, but even after that moment, we continue to grow - forever - in our love of God and love of neighbor. I think we have three simple rules that are just as needed today as they were when they were written: Do good always. Do no harm. Stay in love with God. We make decisions and reflect theologically based on God's word, our tradition, reason, and personal experience - because we believe the Holy Spirit engages us as whole people. We believe that the faithful witness to Christ with our words and actions can change the world - just to name a few pieces of our theology and doctrine.
   But too many times during this General Conference we have not been acting like United Methodists. We have not acted as if we are growing in our love of God and neighbor (sanctifying grace). We certainly haven't honored our three rules. We want to pick either social holiness or social justice instead of planting ourself firmly in the middle and seeing how they inform one another.
   Church, what happened? When did we forget who we are as the people called Methodists? And how can we remind one another of what we believe so we can continue to make disciples of Jesus Christ for the transformation of the world?

No comments: