About Me

My photo
My heart beats for love. I want to be different. I want to be who I am called to be. WORTHY and LOVED!

Friday, May 20, 2016

Appreciate

"But we request of you, brethren, that you appreciate those who diligently labor among you, and have charge over you in the Lord and give you instruction, and that you esteem them very highly in love because of their work." - 1 Thessalonians 5: 12-13a

     It has been a hard week. A week of uncertainty and unrest in a denomination that I love. Even viewing from afar I have watched and heard of some of my Christian sisters and brothers engaging in behavior that makes be weep as we have put our arguments and sides over honoring each other. 
    Even as General Conference ends today, the work of our leaders, the Council of Bishops, is far from over. While others are flying home, they will meet to continue to instruct, lead, and pray for the United Methodist Church. I want to take time this day to reflect on the above verses from 1 Thessalonians and ask the following questions: 
   - Do we act as if we appreciate the work of the bishops for our Church?
   - Do we give them the space to actually have charge over us and instructing us?
   - How can we esteem them in love?
   This General Conference something unprecedented happened - a call came from the floor and was affirmed by the majority of the delegates to actually let the bishops lead. To model for us what it means to move forward as a divided Church on difficult issues. Normally our bishops call and preside at General Conference, but we actually gave them space this year to be our spiritual leaders.  May we continue to give them space to lead. May we hear the words they preach and let them convict us - or as I tell my congregations - may the Word preached so deeply sink into us that it transforms us from the inside out.
    Now, do not misunderstand me - I know our bishops are human. But I also know them to be a people of deep spirituality and prayer. I know that we don't all agree with them or with the proposal they made - but it seems to me that Paul's words, at their heart, ask us to trust those who lead and labor among us. Maybe we need to have a little more trust - of God and of our spiritual leaders. If I want my congregations to trust me as their pastor, I need to trust my DS, the cabinet, and the Bishop, as my pastors.
    Further, presiding over meetings is not the same as spiritually leading. There were some very difficult moments to watch this week, where bishops fumbled over parliamentary procedure and leadership. Guess what - that isn't spiritual leadership. Let us forgive them for those errors and let us give them a clean slate to lead by the power and presence of the Holy Spirit. 
   As the Council of Bishops lead let us esteem them. Let us hold them in prayer. Let us send them words of encouragement and support. Let us appreciate them, fully, for the hard and tireless work they do for God's children in the United Methodist Church. 

No comments: